Head Instructor 2016
Conestoga Sailing Club – Head Instructor 2016
Start date: June 27, 2016
End Date August 19, 2016
Conestoga Sailing Club invites qualified individuals to apply for the Head Instructor position at our sailing school for 2016.
The Conestoga Sailing School is the heart and soul of the Conestoga Sailing Club! For over 35 years, we’ve been teaching the sport of sailing to people, young and old, and of all abilities.
The sailing school operates out of CSC’s clubhouse and uses the club fleet of Optimists, Club 420s, Topper Topazs, and Wayfarers. Children in the Youth Sailing Program range in age from 8 through high school.
The Head Instructor role is a full time position beginning in late June and ending in late August. Normal work hours will consist of working between 40 and 45 hours per week and is paid an hourly rate. There is a possibility of combining a daytime teaching position (i.e. Youth Instructor) with an evening or weekend position (i.e. Adult or Private Lesson Instructor, Race and Regatta Staff). The salary for this position is commensurate with experience and certifications. Assistance in securing local accommodations for the successful candidate can be provided if necessary.
Qualifications & Certifications
The Head Instructor must be 18 years of age or older. The Head Instructor must be either a “Trained” or “ Certified” CANSail 3-4 Instructor (or Bronze Sail Instructor) and have current standard First Aid, CPR-C, Swimming Certificate/Boat Rescue, & PCOC. We seek a candidate with extensive sailing and teaching experience and a willingness to motivate and encourage youth sailors. Candidates must be mature, a team player and willing to take on responsibility. Candidates must be willing to work with others, including other staff members, and the general public. The Head instructor will need a friendly, trustworthy and honest personality.
Duties of the Head Instructor include:
- Reporting directly to CSC Sail Training director and Board
- Organizing, scheduling and running preseason Sailing Instructor and Junior Leader in Training training under the direction of the Sailing Director
- Coordinating and assisting in pre-season and post-season maintenance of all sailing equipment
- Helping develop and implement the sailing program curriculum for all levels of the Youth Sailing Program
- Communicating effectively with sailing staff to ensure implementation of program goals and curriculum
- Coordinating registration information and additional paperwork with Sailing Director and Administrator
- Bringing employee issues or problems to the Sailing Director before potential problems escalate
- Communicating effectively, and on a regular basis with youth sailing program participants and their parents
- Supervising sailing instructor staff in the teaching of sailing lessons
- Establishing protocol for the rigging and de-rigging of boats, seeing that they are neatly and properly returned to their assigned spaces
- Preparing land and on water lessons for classes while maintaining the highest level of CANSail standards
- Supervision and leadership of intermediate-level children/youth sailors in on-the-water & shore-side race instruction and physical fitness/fun-games activities
- Performing administrative tasks and using the Checklick application to monitor student progress.
- Planning and coordinating special events and activities
- Implementing and monitoring all safety plans and policies for the youth sailing school
- Supervising maintenance of boats and areas used by sailing staff and program sailors
- Performing additional duties as requested
Please send us your resume along with a cover letter which includes:
- the position(s) you are interested in;
- how your qualifications/background fit the requirements we are looking for;
- any other relevant information that will help us to consider your application.
Preferred method is to email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Applications can also be mailed to:
Conestoga Sailing Club
P.O. Box 38077
256 King St. N
Applications are due March 25. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.