Conestoga Sailing Club is proud to introduce a brand new Sailing School program this year! The Wet Feet program is a specialized program for brand new sailors, aged 6-8, designed to help our littlest sailors get their feet wet!
This program is a great opportunity for kids to experience the excitement of sailing for the very first time with a qualified instructor.
Created by Sail Canada, the Wet Feet program is based on breaking down sailing skills into their smaller components to make them easier to understand and build on in later CanSail levels. At Conestoga Sailing Club, we believe that learning the basics of sailing at a young age will create confident, highly skilled sailors who love to be out on the water. The Wet Feet program is also filled with a variety of activities in addition to sailing, to ensure a well-rounded camp experience. Adventure, confidence, and fun await with Conestoga Sailing School.
The program, on Conestogo Lake, runs Monday to Friday from 9am to 4pm. Sailors must be comfortable swimming while wearing a personal flotation device (PFD) or life jacket. For specific dates please check out our sailing school registration page.
Eligibility and Safety
Our Wet Feet Program is suitable for children ages 6-8 Participants must be able to (a) swim 50 meters wearing a life jacket (b) tread water, and (c) provide their own MOT approved personal flotation device (lifejacket) of the proper size.
Things to Bring to Sailing School
- A government approved personal floatation device (PFD/lifejacket) suitable to child’s weight/size
- Sunscreen, SPF 30 minimum, for at least two applications
- Sun hat and sunglasses with retainers
- Swimsuit and Towel
- Appropriate clothing for the forecasted weather (windproof jacket, rainwear, warm underlayers)
- At least one complete change of dry clothes (shirt, shorts, long pants, underwear, sweatshirt)
- One pair of non-slip shoes that will get wet, preferably water shoes
- One pair of shoes that will stay dry for land activities & the bus ride home
- Note: all shoes should be closed & rubber soled. Flip flops, strappy or open shoes are a safety hazard and are NOT suitable.
- Peanut free lunch, snacks and Water bottle. (potable water to drink is available at the club) Please avoid disposable bottles if possible.
- Label everything, and please leave non-essential electronics/toys/valuables at home.
Ready to register? Check out our sailing school registration page!